Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Monday, April 17, 2017

The Secret Letters of the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin S. Sharma

I picked up this book from the pack of ten books by Robin Sharma gifted to the team from one of my colleague on his last day in the

current office. The reason I held my hand on this one from ten is, first the title - of course I can not miss this one. The second reason is the blurb:

Jonathan Landry is a man in trouble. After a bizarre encounter with his lost relative Julian Mantle-a former high-powered courtroom lawyer who suddenly vanished into the Himalayas-Jonathan is compelled to travel across the planet to collect the life-saving letters that carry the extraordinary secrets that Julian discovered. 

On a remarkable journey that includes visits to the sensual tango halls of Buenos Aires, the haunting catacombs of Paris, the gleaming towers of Shanghai and the mystical deserts of Sedona, The Secret Letters of The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari reveals astounding insights on reclaiming your personal power, being true to yourself and fearlessly living your dreams.

About The Book:
The book comprises of valuable life learning in the form of nine talismans. In the words of Robin Sharma,
Talismans behold much deeper meaning than life lessons. Talismans are -
"Small statues or amulets. There are nine of them. Each holds a piece of essential wisdom for happiness and a life beautifully lived. Individually, they are just symbolic tokens, but together they hold extraordinary trans formative powers. They can, in effect, be lifesaving."

There were one or two instances, I could relate to myself. Like, the way Chava recited his Son's success story, I could totally relate to it. Even my son Ricky had many times expressed his desire to become a doctor, a player and recently to travel to moon. The only way I currently show him is study well and be a good boy. I am sure we too would find our way to his dream one day.

What I Liked About The Book:
1. Letters: The title made it impossible for me to pick it up.
2. Travel Story: The author has very easily managed to present life learning in form of a journey. All teachings were beautifully blended in the locations and their bearers.

What I Did Not Like About The Book:
1. Journal: I so wish Jonathan had written more in the journal he kept on his journey. Some deep handwritten confessions would have added to the beauty of whole book. The push-ups made me smile.

Even though there was nothing new in the book, I actually enjoyed reading it. I loved the way Robin Sharma created characters to be the safe keepers of each letter. They could not have been any better. All in all, it was a good one time read.

Before you hop on to next page, here are a few lines from the book that made way in my notepad:

Every big dream starts small.

The tiniest of actions is always better than the boldest of intentions.

I was more than my limitations; I was learning

Life itself is a journey after all, and what matters most is not what you are getting, but who you are becoming.

PS: Next read from Robin Sharma would be "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" and "Who Will Cry When You Die". I am waiting for my colleagues to return both of them... I am sure none of them are reading them, but still, being a courteous co-worker, I am patiently waiting... wink wink


Buy from Amazon-

Paperback edition                      Kindle  Edition
                   

Or,

2 comments:

  1. My personal fav is his second book "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari." I'm sure you'll like it. Rests are just repetition of it.

    ReplyDelete