Poetic pen

Tell a Tale

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Do Right - Kare kahin, kare wahi jo sahi


I have my own half story to share. It was end of July 2007 when I got to hear the task done by ‘Satyam Foundation’. My batch of so called ELTP’s were told that each year, Satyam Foundation help some MCD schools celebrate Independence Day. I was like, what?  What does Satyam Foundation do in that? All schools celebrate it. Then, we were told – No. There are MCD schools which do not have funds to arrange these functions. They just declare another holiday to children. “So, are you interested?”

Not being into any projects and just sitting idle in front of human machines, we said yes. Teams were formed and we were a team of 6 youngsters all from Northern India except one being a localities’. Starting next week, we had to visit the school assigned to us and plan out the celebrations.

First day when we reached the school, we travelled some streets of Hyderabad, we would not have thought of going into our dreams. We had only being living in posh areas of Begum-pet and chilling out in air conditioned malls having fun. After 30 minutes of auto drive, we reached the school.

The school was a small 2 storied (ground and first floor) building with a narrow entrance. As we entered into the building, we could see 2 big rooms in front of each other both locked. Through the windows of one of the rooms, we could figure out that it was some sort of administration office cum principal’s cabin. The other room had windows shut. There was a small earthen compound and a stair case. We were soon greeted by few enthusiastic children who offered us to take us to their teacher. Thanks to the local girl into our group. The teacher was happy to see us and he told us that Satyam Foundation dis this in their school last year as well. He said, we could come to the school every day and take 2 hours of kid’s time for the preparation.

It was a primary school from class 1 to V with I think 4 or 5 teachers may be less. The first floor had 3 or 4 rooms, I do not remember exactly. On asking about the locked room at ground floor, the teachers told us that is was a class room which was forcefully occupied by some local goons. Now a family lives there. What? School property forced occupied! We thought it only happened in Bollywood/Tollywood movies.

Never mind, we got unbelievable response from the children when we asked then about who wants to give a dance performance, singing, speech, skit or anything. Slowly we were on track and teams were formed for different slots. Every day we entered the school, the children were delighted to see us. They would jump around us all the time. They would almost drop us to our PG. we had fun.

Finally, the D day arrived. We had some biscuits etc. from Satyam Foundation to be distributed among children.  Our team decided that we would contribute some small money from our pockets and give 2 bananas each children as a token of thanks to our task. We had super-duper fun getting the children ready for their performance. The teachers were amazed that we made children do everything from anchoring to stage delivery. We were just sitting smiling, clapping or putting on the makeup on little girls. Cuties looked so happy that we thought that they would not take a batch for a week!

It was not over, we had a surprise performance at the end. Group of 6 children along with their bhaiya and didi’s, came to stage and sing the song – ‘Sare Jahan Se Accha, Hindustan Hamara’. Teachers had tears in their eyes. When did u kids teach this Hindi song to them and participate yourself as well! We distributed the treat and left the extras along with teachers to be used further.

The children took a promise from us that we would visit again. But, we never did. May be we got too busy in our lives. Sorry kids..:(

Today, when I saw this half story, It instantly reminded me of above story. I always thought, the teachers of that school were doing a noble job. They were indeed. But they were paid to do that. This real life hero Mr Chandra Kumar Pradhan from Megma is an inspiration for anyone who ever said – “I want to do something for the education of Kids”.

9,900 ft above the sea level, there is a place called Megma at the tip of west Bengal. It has a 2 room building which is called “Saraswati Mandir School”. Mr Pradhan along with teacher Neela ji is lighting up the future of 20 rays of hope to a bright shining sun. Now, this is what I would call – India Shining.


The peeling walls does not stop these 2 brave hearts to get 20 tulips bloom.
The shaky benches are not an excuse to let the roots grow strong.
Cracked blackboard still displays the lectures clearly.

When I heard that Mr Pradhan wanted to be teacher since his grade 4, I could not help but remember my own school essays on “Your Aim in Life”. I always wrote that I want to become a teacher – but I had a selfish reason to that. This aim had the best content to write about and I used to score full.

I salute Mr. Pradhan to live on his words – “I will teach as long as I live.  I want every house should be educated”.
Each One Teach One!

Please, I urge you, beg you, join my hands, anything, to share this COMPLETE story as Mr Pradhan and Neela ji keep the smiles alive. You never know when a story wakes up a sleeping angel.          
Thanks to Indiblogger and “HALF STORIES the Journey of DoingRight” to make me remember my broken promise. I would definitely visit the school again if I ever visit Hyberabad again.


 
Tum bade hoke rasta n abhulo,
Apne bachpan ki ungli pakad chalo…
Kare kahin, kare wahi jo sahi

No comments:

Post a Comment